Saturday, January 14, 2012

First Day

(View from my room - Lyon)

After a long flight, I finally arrived in France. I have been planning to study abroad in France for as long as I can remember. It was an unfulfilled dream of my mom’s and something that I have always wanted to do. It is crazy to think that the time has finally come and that I am actually here. I left Seattle at 1:45pm on the 13th. I took a 10 hour flight to Paris CDG (which unfortunately included very little sleeping and many movies). Once arriving in Paris at 8:30am, I had an hour to get to my connecting flight to Lyon. After 3 airport buses, passport control, re-passing through security and running through the terminal, I made it to the gate 5 minutes before my flight was set to take off and happy collapsed into my seat on the plane. Arriving in the Lyon Saint-Exupery airport, I had the fun task of collecting all my luggage on my own before heading to find my family. Walking out of the gate, I didn’t recognize anyone and saw no sign with my name. A little panic began to set in before I saw Marc running into the airport with my name on a sign. The sudden switch to speaking in French was a little bit jarring, but I carried along quite well throughout the entire car ride and subsequent lunch at the apartment. After taking a brief nap and unpacking all my belongings into m great room, the exhaustion finally set in. It was a long few hours before dinner as I sat staring idly at my computer screen, merely attempting to stay awake until after dinner. Overall, it was a great first day. My host family is so sweet and they really seem like they are going to help make for a great experience. I can’t wait to start exploring Lyon tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Julie,
    So glad you are doing this and excited for you. What a fantastic experience! Will follow your blog and see what other things unfold for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following your blog and hearing about your wonderful time in France. Bon chance! Je t'aime beaucoup.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olala Julie! Je suis tellement heureuse pour toi!

    AmitiƩs,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete